Since its establishment in 2012, KAI has:
- Offered 6 Family Literacy Workshops in the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 and the 2016-17 school years, and are currently seeking grant dollars to offer them again in the next school year.
- Secured grants from the Travelers Foundation and the Fund for Greater Hartford for operating expenses.
- Developed a new website linked to the school's website. More content will continue to be added to the site, including an application for teacher mini-grants, along with donor recognition and logos.
- Hired an outside consultant to work with the board in completing a Strategic Plan, developing both strategic direction objectives as well as plans for goal implementation. Through this process, KAI undertook a critical examination of its strategic long-range direction and identified its immediate action plans.
- Formed four working committees: Finance, Program, Community, and Fundraising. These meet on a regular basis to complete defined tasks and report back to the Board.
- Completed and submitted an application for the CT Neighborhood Tax Assistance Act.
- Sought and received free legal services provided by Pro Bono Partnership to guide KAI's work, in particular around compliance with state and federal regulations, contracts and corporate structure and governance, which resulted in the adoption of newly amended and restated By Laws and a new Certificate of Incorporation.
- Purchased a Yamaha F Attachment trombone for the music department at KMSPA, with a particular student in mind to study on the instrument who will make a musical mark on our school, and who will be remembered for years to come.
- Conducted a school-wide Spellathon as a fundraiser for KAI, which raised $1,235.
- Continued to raise public awareness of the KMSPA, and increased exposure of the student talents at Kinsella, such as the J Grooves Band. In particular, Kinsella students have begun to perform on a regular basis during employee lunches at Aetna.
- In collaboration with the Travelers Championship, participated in the annual Birdies for Charity fundraiser.
- Secured funding through the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving and the Fisher Foundation for a college visitation and readiness program dedicated to preparing students for postsecondary endeavors with a focus on enrollment in a higher education program.
- Sponsored a Mentoring Resume Writing and Developing Interview Skills Workshop Series for high school students who needed to develop resumes for both summer employment opportunities and for college applications, and had no experience with this. For many of these students, they will be the first generation in their families to attend college. This program was made possible through the collaboration of KAI and thirteen(13) volunteers from the Hartford corporate community and one(1) from Goodwin College who participated as volunteer mentors, coaching the students in this life skill.
- Approved funding for a summer 2015, 5-week comprehensive internship program for four high school students at TheaterWorks in Hartford in order to receive actual work experience in all aspects of the theater, from pre-production planning, to opening and closing a new show, to post-production work.
- Sponsored a Math & Movement program, a multi-sensory approach to teaching math through physical exercise, stretching, and cross-body movements. The Math & Movement program harnesses a child's natural inclination to move and directs it into an enjoyable method of learning and retaining information.
- Sponsored a 5th Grade reading unit residency titled, “Finding Courage: An Arts-Infused Literacy Residency.” This arts-integration unit uses multiple modes of art to directly support curriculum goals such as understanding figurative language and literary theme, comparison and contrast of texts, implementation of reader’s theater strategies, and increased awareness and appreciation of cultural diversity.
- Received funding for Visiting Artists.
- Held its first annual wine tasting fundraiser in September, 2016, raising over $12,000 and held its second annual beer and wine tasting fundraiser on September 22, 2017.